Thursday, March 01, 2007

A blurb from James Patrick Kelly!

Good news on the Acacia: The War with the Mein front. I just received my first blurb for the book. Sci-fi veteran writer James Patrick Kelly was kind enough to read the book and to say...

Treachery in the throne room, princes in hiding, ancestors reaching from beyond the grave, wars of succession — this is a novel that Shakespeare would have loved. David Anthony Durham is rebuilding epic fantasy from the ground up. There are books that you visit for a vacation and then there are books that you live in. Get ready to have your mail forwarded to Acacia.

Wow. I'm very happy with that, especially as it's coming from Jim, a two time Hugo winner, with something like ten Nebula nominations and tons of other awards. He's a wonderful novelist and short story writer, always thoughtful and inventive. His books include Burn (a current Nebula Finalist), Think Like a Dinosaur, Strange But Not a Stranger. There's a great interview in Locus from last fall; he was the featured interview of the edition, by the way. You can check out his website for more information on him.

Thank you, Jim.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

david,

hey, what a supercool blurb. excited for the book.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

That's a great blurb. Congrats on getting it. I'm looking forward to the book, it sounds like the sort of Fantasy I like to read.

Btw, are you going to do the meme for which I tagged you? Don't worry if you don't have the time, I can understand that.

2:58 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks Drew and Gabriele,

Yeah, I'm happy. I know Jim Kelly knows his stuff - and the fantasy and sci-fi worlds - so it means a lot that he thinks the book works.

Gabriele,

Oh, I have to admit I'm not up on the etiquette of memes and being tagged. Being tagged means that I'm invited to do one of those myself? And with the same questions? I'd be happy to do that. I should check with you, though, for the details of this stuff...

David.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Yes, being tagged means you'll have to answer the questions of the meme. But if you don't like to do memes, you can ask not to be tagged in future; no one would blame you. It's not like school homework, lol.

4:28 PM  
Blogger James McLauchlan Johnston said...

Great blurb. I noticed the title there for one of his books is reminiscent of that amazing sci-fi classic, Stranger in a strange land, which I devoured a few years back. Any relation?

2:33 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Jamie,

Ah, that was Robert A. Heinlein. Quite a classic, that. No, connection that I'm aware of.

David.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home