Sunday, June 17, 2007

Pleasantly Sweltering Father's Day

Well, the forecast in Three Rivers is for a pleasant 96 degrees today. That'll make a nice break from the three digit temperatures of the last few days. I'm being facetious of course. A coping mechanism... 96 degrees and I'm thankful!

I still haven't gotten my hands on a hard copy of that Entertainment Weekly, and they still haven't put the new issue up on their website. A few small things have come through today, though. There's a review in the Fredericksburg Free Lance Star. The reviewer liked the book, but he doesn't spend that much time talking about it. He's more interested in the "litmus test" experiment/risk the book is. Acacia also gets a small mention in The Kansas City Star. It's the second of a few books mentioned, the lead being Harm, by Brian Aldiss.

Also, there are more free books available via The Dragon Page. It's not that I don't want to encourage you to buy the book. I do, of course, but a freebie every now and then is always a treat.

By the way, as I sit here writing I'm also listening to NPR. There is a story on just now about child slavery in China. My wife just looked at me and commented that there are places in the world right now where children are taken from their parents and enslaved - just like in Acacia. Ironic, but that's kinda the point. Acacia may be a fantasy, but I can't help but write about our world in lots of ways. I wonder if NPR choose this story particularly for Father's Day, or if it was just a coincidence of when the news came out?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home