Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Listen to Acacia!

Okay, this is a post in two parts. First I wrote this...

SFFAudio mentions the audio version of Acacia in an announcement about a lot of new audio titles. It's nice to see glimpses of the reality of this thing, especially as I haven't heard the finished product myself. I did gasp at the info, though. 29 hours and 30 minutes? Yikes. Really? Reminds me that the book is actually a lot longer than it looks. The typeface and the paper make for a lean hardback. I like that, although I also think it accounts for why some readers find it takes them a lot longer to finish than they'd have thought...

Anyway, I really look forward to hearing it. Nothing like having someone else bring your words alive...

And then I wrote this...


Wait, scratch that. I have listened to it! I just went over to the Tantor Media Website and found it. Here's a link to the page, and there's a MP3 clip from early in the novel. It's the second half of the first Leeka scene! I love it. Thank you, Mr. Hill, for bringing your voice talents to the Known World.

Have a listen, folks, and let me know what you think.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger clindsay said...

You should be honored; Harry Potter Seven only ran to 21 hours. ;-)

5:08 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I am. What I like about Dick Hill's reading is that it's so NOT me... He gives it a theatrical life of it's own, so that listening to it I feel like I'm listening to someone else's work. But it's mine at the same time!

5:29 PM  
Blogger James McLauchlan Johnston said...

He certainly has the required gravitas to read this story. I've yet to finish a book on tape (or should that be book on MP3?). I got most of the way through a Roddy Doyle but found that my mind often wandered. I'd listen to whole chapters and realise I'd taken nothing in. Something similar can happen while reading too, but I'm yet to be convinced by books on tape.

7:56 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I love audio books. It took me a while to feel strongly enough about it to admit it, but I listen to a lot of stuff as I walk, ride, cook, do yard work. I can only assume that it either works for you or it doesn't, but I have no trouble taking in a story listened to while doing other things. It's become a feature in my life and work day. It's been a great benefit to me in many ways.

Of course, the reader has to do the book justice. They have to serve the book, bring it to life but not try to dominate it. I don't like it when a reader seems to think the book needs improvement, or when it's clear they're more interested in showing off their talents than taking care of the job at hand. Readers like Dick Hill, though, can strike that balance between adding character and drama to a piece while doing so in a way that respects the words on the page and a listener's capacity to engage with them. I like that.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Tia Nevitt said...

29 hours! Now I don't feel bad at the amount of time that it is taking me to read it. Almost done, though!

11:28 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Tia,

Honestly, I thought about you when I wrote that in the original post. (It was sort of note of commiseration to Tia.)

David.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home