Friday, August 03, 2007

Acacia's UK Deal!

I'm back from the beach - where the boogie-boarding was awesome, the raccoons were wee troublesome buggers, the seals barked late into the night and some questionable (but very nice) folks showed up at our campsite in the middle of the night. But that's personal stuff, not of interest to the general public...

I will say that I'm very pleased to announce that we've finally wrapped up a contract for the British publication of Acacia: The War with the Mein. It was a long process this time. I believe things opened up enough that we had discussions with a number of publishers, especially as this fantasy series is a departure from Pride of Carthage, the only novel of mine previously published in the UK.

Funny thing is that at the end of it all my Pride of Carthage publisher is the one we're going with. Transworld has signed on for Acacia 1 and 2! (Um... There's an extra bit of pressure to get that second book done.) Transworld has a diverse list with titles in many different genres. I'm happy to say that they also have quite a strong fantasy/sci-fi list that includes books by Steven Erikson, Christopher Paolini, Mary Doria Russell, David Gemell, Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, Laura K Hamilton and Terry Prachett. And me!

What will the reaction be over there? What will the cover look like? No idea, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to find out.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

Congratulations David, looking forward to seeing Acacia on the shelves over here. I will be down to the local bookshop on Monday to tell them to watch out for it.

4:36 AM  
Blogger John Dent said...

I can't wait. Who knows- I might even go out and buy a copy! :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

L&P, thank you. It will likely be quite a while before the book actually pubs. I'll find out about that stuff soon, I hope.

John, well, that's a novel idea!

12:06 PM  
Blogger John Dent said...

*cymbal clash*

By the way are you still doing signed copies? And are you doing signed photos too? I'm thinking of sending the copies I have off if you're still doing it.

8:18 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

John,

Sure. You send it (with postage or at least with an arrangement to be reimbursed for postage - paypal, for example) and I'll sign it. Email me direct if you want to get my mailing address, etc.

-D

9:27 PM  
Blogger clindsay said...

Congratulations!!! Wonderful news!

11:10 AM  
Blogger clindsay said...

Oh, and who is your editor going to be there?

11:11 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Simon Taylor was my editor for Pride of Carthage and I believe he's the one that negotiated this deal. I'm thinking he'll be my editor, although I've yet to really talk with him about it. I'll do so this week.

11:29 AM  
Blogger clindsay said...

Yay! Great editor!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Scott Oden said...

Congrats, David!

I like Simon; he's my editor there, as well. Someday maybe I'll meet him in person.

4:57 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hi Scott, nice to hear from you. I know you're deep into the throws of finishing the next great book, so thanks for stopping in.

Simon is a good guy, and I'm happy to say I've had the pleasure of dining with his family in London. We had a bloody lovely fish pie. So good, in fact, that it altered my wife's recipe for fish pie. I know, some folks out there may not find this combination of words appealing - FISH, PIE - but I assure you that done well it's ambrosia.

I thank Simon and family for helping us to find this simple, wonderful bliss. (Glad he publishes my books also, I should add.)

12:48 AM  
Blogger John Dent said...

Wow, it must have been quite a fish pie to actually risk offending your wife like that!

6:42 AM  
Blogger clindsay said...

Fish + Pie = Scary

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home