Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ah... the Romance of it!

It's fun to come across news about oneself on somebody else's blog, which is just what happened this morning. I was checking out Whatever, happily reading that John Scalzi's The Last Colony was up for a Romantic Times 2007 Reviewers' Choice Award in the Science Fiction category. Interesting, and duly noted that the award nominees, as John puts it, "are chosen for their general excellence, not necessarily their romantic content, which is good, because I'm not notably good with romance." About halfway through my nod of commiserating agreement I caught sight of my own name a little ways down the post. Wha? Me? Romantic? Don't tell my wife...

I clicked over to the site and sure enough found myself well down the page, in the short list of Epic Fantasy Nominees! I think it's fair to say that the "romance" side of things isn't that important in this category. I do remember RT giving me a lovely - if brief - review, but I guess they really meant it. Who am I up against?

THE NAME OF THE WIND, Patrick Rothfuss

KUSHIEL'S JUSTICE, Jacqueline Carey

THE WELL OF ASCENSION, Brandon Sanderson

THE INNOCENT MAGE, Karen Miller

Who will come out on top - so to speak - we won't know until April.

(Thanks for alerting me to the news, John. Further proof that everyone should read Whatever. By the way, turns out John had heard the news from another nominee, too - Jo Walton. So I guess this is how this stuff works.)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck! I'm reading Acacia right now and it absolutely deserves some kind of award! :-)

7:39 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Magnus,

Thank you. I hope you keep liking it right to the end!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Larry Nolen said...

Congrats again, David :D By the way, you'll be tickled by this, I'd imagine. Or by this, which will have to do in lieu of the review I wanted to do just before one of those career-changing moments happened back in mid-September.

Always nice to see positive feedback, no? Or is it more a case of feeling even pressure and/or motivation to work even harder on the next one?

7:50 PM  
Blogger Tia Nevitt said...

Happy New Year, David! Your novel made a few of my lists, such as they are!

11:41 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Larry and Tia,

Thanks so much! I do appreciate the recognition. It's not so much a feeling of pressure to receive it. (I've got enough of that on me already.) It's wonderful affirmation, though.

Larry, thanks for the nod for Walk Through Darkness also. It's nice to know the early ones still get read every now and then.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Good luck and a happy new year.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your fantasy success! I must say Rothfuss and yourself wrote my two favorite books of the year. I am eagerly awaiting your second (and third). I was actually trying to save your book for a little while, maybe till your second came out as I tend to forget things, however it was staring at me in my bookcase and I had to read it. I appreciate that you didn't go with the "standard" storyline. This made your book a little deeper read than some of the other authors I enjoy.

I am not your typical fantasy reader and have never posted to an author. Hope this effort demonstrates my pleasure.

Have a great New Year

1:58 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks Gabrielle. Same to you!

Rick G, Thanks for writing. Very glad you did read Acacia and that it worked for you. I couldn't be happier that you found it "a little deeper" than norm. That's just what I'm after. A little deeper, and yet not so off the deep end that readers can't just enjoy it, too. And I'm always happy to be in Pat's company. He's a great guy.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Hi David, you should get a wee blast out of this one - scroll towards the end. :)

4:01 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Gabrielle,

Thank you for that link! Oh my... I've just been recommended by GRRM! Oh my...

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home