Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pride of Carthage, Russian Style

What's that cover to the left, you ask? Believe it or not, it's the Russian edition of Pride of Carthage! I've just "discovered" it, after a good deal of searching.

I know, why do I need to discover it or search for it? I'm the author, right? I should be getting care-packages directly from Moscow, yes? It doesn't really go that way, though.

My Russian publiser, Eksmo, bought the book years ago, but I never really knew what happened with it. Doubleday got paid. They paid a bit less to ICM. ICM paid bit less to me. (THAT'S the way it goes.) And that's about it. Every now and then I'd do a Google search, but I could never find a sign of it. Until now...

The crazy thing is that I can barely tell it's mine. Seems like my name, in Russian, is Дэвид Энтони Дарем. And Pride of Carthage is Гордость Карфагена. Now, can you see why I had trouble tracking it down? (Oh, that and the fact that I'd been spelling their name wrong for the last two years...)

Here's a site that has it.

And here's another one.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger John Scalzi said...

Do you not have a clause in your foreign rights contracts that specifies you are to receive copies of the book? My Eskmo contracts all specify no fewer than five author copies (I get four, my agent keeps one). It takes them a while to arrive, but they do.

12:47 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

What? John Scalzi visiting the old blog? You're going to make me nervous. I'll have to up my game. (I won't, really, but I'll now worry that I should...)

I'm sure that copies are in the contract. Actually, I'd discussed it with my foreign rights contact recently and she's looking into it. Hopefully, copies will be on the way. This is the only foreign edition of seven for Pride of Carthage that I didn't copies for. I'm hoping Eksmo just needed a push.

But... question... You spelled their name Eskmo. That's what I'd been doing for a couple of years now. (Everytime I googled it they asked, "Did you mean Eskimo?") But now I'm thinking it's actually Eksmo. It's when I spelled it that way that I found the book. And that appears to be what they call themselves on their website (unless there strangely happens to be Eskmo and Eksmo Russian publishers...).

Have you wisdom on this?

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Wiki it's:

Eksmo (Russian: Эксмо) is one of the largest publishing houses in Russia.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS:

Here's their english website

http://www.eksmo.ru/eng/about/

3:30 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Clearly, I can't argue with Wiki.

And yes, the website does seem rather convincing. (I actually had a link to it in the main post.)

-David.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Despite not being able to find it for a long time it still must be cool to know your read around the world. :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Meghan,

It is very, very cool. I still remember visiting an author friend's house some years ago, before any of my books were in print anywhere. I was awed by the volumes he had of foreign editions of his books. I thought, one day that'll be me too. One day...

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home