Wednesday, May 28, 2008

River Maids!

So I'm back from WisCon and should have a ton of stuff to say about it. I do have a few things, but I've also arrived back to a household half packed for a move. So there's been a good deal of stuff to handle today. I'll soon say a bit son about some of the folks I met and/or got to know better at WisCon, but for tonight let me just mention that I came home to a conundrum...

Not for the first time, I found a piece of paper (it's my current rental lease, actually) with the words RIVER MAIDS! scrawled across the bottom. I know... Yes, KNOW that I wrote those two words during a fit of inspiration. I know that said River Maids have some role, either in Acacia's story in or other epics to come. I know that I imagined them in some very specific manner, enough so that I wrote the words in BIGGISH letters. BUT... I can't for the life of me remember what the hell they are/were/could be.

Any ideas? Suggestions...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Constance Brewer said...

I’m having visions of web-footed, aquatic Merry Maids here, cheerfully cleaning up the debris from another boat wreck while Disneyesque flying fish flit around their heads.

Probably NOT the vision you were hoping for. *g*

Looking forward to a WisCon report.

9:16 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Nice, but that doesn't ring any bells...

I really am amazed that I have absolutely no recall as what I thought was so exciting about these river maids. Nothing.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Well, maid is a term used for either a female house servant or as an unmarried woman. Young, pretty girls are usually referred to (at least in knightly adventures) as "maidens," where as an old unmarried woman is an "old maid."

So I'm thinking of some sort of water-borne magical entity, like Arthur's lady in the lake or Odysseus' sirens, but instead of young and hot (which is the cliché), they're old, bitter and mean.

2:55 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Ben,

Well observed... I'll factor that in to my confusion on this...

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home