Thursday, June 05, 2008

Newly Inspired Liar

Okay, tomorrow we'll do the drawing for that copy of the UK edition of Acacia. I meant to do it today, but my kids came up with a rather elaborate way of choosing the winner this time. They spent a while practicing and by the end of that they were too tired to actually do the drawing. So, tomorrow it must be.

I did have this other thought, though, that just came to me...

It was prompted by two things. One, I heard an author interview recently that I thought was really good. Thing is, I didn't believe very much of the what the author was saying. Complete rubbish, but exactly the type of rubbish that listeners want to hear. Gets chuckles. Feeds authorial myths... It was really well done, and it made me reconsider my tendency to tell the truth when I do interviews. My approach has been kinda lame: I get asked a question; I answer honestly, even if the honest answer is dead boring. That's where I've been going wrong. I've got to lie more! Why didn't I see this sooner?

Quite a revelation this, and especially timely as (point # two) I just got a list of questions from a high school student preparing a paper. Heehee...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Funny. I was just writing a bit of dialog for one of my (many, unfinished) projects, and came up with this line: "Truth isn't about what's real. Truth is about what you can get people to believe. That's truth."

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, I notice you didn't give us the author's name so we can track down the interview... Safety first!

10:47 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Safety first, indeed! If I did name the author it would be in a complimentary manner, but I'd be complimenting them on their capacity to lie with élan. Possibly not a characterization the author would appreciate.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home