Saturday, July 26, 2008

David Gets a Face

Well, I've made another step toward joining the interconnected web society. I've got a Facebook page!

I've always been reluctant to join such things, mainly because I waste enough time online already and Facebook or MySpace seem dangerously consuming. And, actually, I wouldn't have a Facebook page now, either. This one, you see, was set up by my publisher. (Does this all make me sound about as hip as John McCain? Please note that I can use email all by myself...)

Anyway, my publisher believes Facebook is a good idea, especially as I have a mass market paperback coming out next month. (That would be Acacia, by the way.) I'm sure they're right. So, hey, wanna be friends? Or maybe that's fans... They've set me up as a celebrity. (See how easy it is to take on delusions of grandeur?)

Anyway, wanna be a fan? I could use a few more, you know. Check me out: Here. If you send me any messages, though, do remember that I'm not really in the driver's seat. I'm sort of watching from the back at the moment...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Looks like you are set up more as a Public Figure / Celebrity on Facebook than having a personal account.

So, we become fans of yours. If you had a personal account, we'd be friends and could see whatever content is up on each others pages and stuff.

11:06 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yes, Joe... Hmmm. I hear you. At the moment I'm not going to join personally, though. I've got rather a lot on the table and don't think it's a good time for me to be exploring Facebook in earnest.

Among other things, I've got a looming deadline for Acacia 2. Gotta get that thing done!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I be honest David?

Even though I am a technik-geek, and a domain admin overlooking 2500 PCs at work, I have many concerns regarding these new websites called Web 2.0.

There's way too much personal information floating around, with abolutely no control over it for anyone.

I guess you neither won't see me on facebook, myspace, flickr, whatever...

Sorry David!

~
Bernd

3:50 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Bernd,

Yeah, I feel that, too. My wife joined Facebook a while back, got freaked out by the sudden bombardment of attention from folks she hadn't heard from in years, and then closed the account. She joined again recently, but only because some of the things she wants to do with other networking stuff pushed her back to it. We'll see how that goes...

David.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home