Sunday, November 23, 2008

Candidat - Prix Hugo 2008

I got something cool in the mail yesterday. It's funny, because I tend to not be very impressed by symbolic gestures, awards and the like. But I'm rather moved by this...It's the pen that the organizers of next year's Worldcon, Anticipation, gave as a commiserating present to the non-winner finalists for the 2007 Hugos. Yes, this is a "losers" present, but damn... It's a Hugo losers present! Are you kidding me? (I know, the John W. Campbell Award is not, officially, a Hugo, but still, it kinda is. Yeah?)

Anyway, I wasn't able to go to Denvention, so I couldn't pick this up in the dire moments after not winning the Campbell. Instead, they just sent it to me. I'm rather pleased. I'll make sure not to loose it.

No guarantees, but technically I do have a shot at next year's Campbell. Whether I get the nod or not I'll be there. Neil Gaiman is the writer Guest of Honor after all. It would be silly to miss that!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

They did tell you about the pen's secret power, right?

11:33 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Cheryl,

You have no idea how much that very idea of "secret powers" fills me with silly glee. I think my face did the same sort of stunned, "Secret Powers? Really?" as my son's would have...

No, they didn't tell me. Might you?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You have to unscrew the pen. All the best spy pens have a secret inside them. And for some bizarre reason Anticipation has been forgetting to tell people about it.

1:08 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

You mean the little light? That's all I can find, and it doesn't seem to work anyway...

12:55 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Hold the central black band in one hand and the top of the pen in the other. It should unscrew. Mine does.

1:21 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Cool... Hehe. It does have secret powers! Thanks for telling me!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Welcome to the secret Hugo spy organization! (I guess it should be the Union of Nominated Candidates for Literary Excellence.)

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home