Thursday, February 26, 2009

In Praise of French Friends and IMAGINALES 2009!

I'm really enthusiastic about the way Le Pre auc Clercs has published Acacia: La guerre du Mein. It feels like they've gotten behind it with a level of overseas support I haven't quite felt before. It's one thing when you know your publisher likes your book; it's another when you know they're going the extra mile, staking their reputation on it, investing in it, making a website for it... So, thanks to Carola Strang and everyone at Le Pre auc Clercs!

Also, a big thank you to Thierry Arson. He's the wonderful translator that worked on the book. I knew that Le Pre auc Clercs gave it to him because they wanted a finely crafted version of my text. Sounds like they got that. I'm very pleased to learn he'll likely be translating The Other Lands also!

Didier Graffet's cover image is one of the first things that introduces people to the book. I like what he's done very much, especially when actually holding it in my hand. You can see covers he did for Bragelonne and Editions Mnemos, and here's a Bibliographie of all his works. It takes a lot of people to produce a book; I'm only mentioning a few here.

What prompts me to give these shout outs? Well... it looks like I'm going to France. To Paris, to Epinal - in May, no less! Are you kidding me? France in the spring? To promote my novel and hang out at what appears to be an awesome con - Imaginales... As you can tell I'm thrilled. Imaginales was kind enough to invite me as one of their international guests, and Le pre auc Clercs has me doing all sorts of cool stuff during my short stay. It will be grand!

So if you happen to be in Epinal this May come and say bonjour (or bonsoir), or anything you'd like to say!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

France! That sounds jealous-makingly fun.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness! You're like a bullet train on a one-way track.

How can you stand the excitement of all that's happened? :)

2:49 AM  
Blogger Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

Are you going to make a flying visit to pay homage to that garret/atelier?

4:29 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Hmm, interesting. If I can find good deals on travel and accommodation I may just go. I see Tad is on the guest list too. Do you know him?

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coolness!

I haven't decided yet if I'm to go to the Imaginal and I've never done so before, but I've only ever heard good things about it.

8:19 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Mary,

I certainly hope so. I know Gudrun views it all with a smirk of (good natured) annoyance. :)

Stephe,

I'm not nearly sleek enough to be compared to a bullet train, but I'll try to change that by the time I get to France!

How can I stand the excitement? By looking at the work ahead. The page remains humbling.

Laughton,

Perhaps. If not on this trip, maybe the next...

Cheryl,

It would be great to see you there. I'm not sure that list of attendees is very accurate. (I'm not on it, for example.) Assuming Tad is there I'm gonna jump at meeting him. I almost did at World Fantasy in Calgary, but I goofed the opportunity.

Etrangere,

Good to hear. Perhaps I'll see you there!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a marvellous convention : in a park, just close to the river Moselle.
See you there ;-)

4:36 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

It keeps sounding better and better!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home