Friday, April 10, 2009

Gord Sellar

Following on Mary Robinette Kowal's John W Campbell interview/promotion lead I offer some tidbits on Gord Sellar, one of my fellow finalists.

To start, here's Mary's interview with him. He's got a lot of interesting things to say, including thoughts on living in a non-English speaking country and the ways it effected his awareness of story telling choices and perspectives.

Here's an earlier interview with K. Tempest Bradford, via Fantasy Magazine.

Gord's Website is Here.

Mr. Sellar is Canadian, but he was born in Malawi and now lives and teaches in Bucheon, South Korea. (I found his series of posts on SF in Korea very interesting.) He's published lots of stories in lots of places, including Interzone, Fantasy Magazine, Asimov's SF and Flurb, to name a few. He'll also be appearing in the 26th edition of The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection, edited by Gardner Dozier. Here's a story he published with Apex Online: Cai and Her Ten Thousand Husbands.

He's a musician too. He's "studied the saxophone, contrabass, jazz and classical music theory, and music composition, and I performed with various big bands and a live ambient-music group, in addition to leading my own ensembles and experimental groups." He even had a band of Australian and American ex pats doing an indie-rock thing. That's cool enough, but doing it in Korea is even better! Here's some video to prove it, from a performance at the Ssamzie Sound Festival. Unless I'm mistaken, that's Gord blowing the sax. Soloing, no less...



Gord is clearly living his life. I respect that very much. Honestly, I love it that these Campbell Nominees seem so bloody interesting. I don't know if I'll meet them all in Montreal at Worldcon. I hope to, but even if I don't I'm still happy to have been turned on to their work.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger gordsellar said...

Hey! Thanks for the kind words and interest... I agree with you, the whole bunch of nominees seems so very interesting. I think we definitely have to arrange to get together for a drink or something at WorldCon, for whoever is going to be there, and I'm definitely looking forward to meeting you.

And of course, checking out Acacia, which is on order now. (It'll a few weeks before my order arrives in Seoul, but by now I'm used to that.)

1:15 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hey Gord! Nice of you stop in. I hope you don't mind me snagging that concert footage. It was too tempting not to. ;)

We will absolutely get together at WorldCon. Very glad to hear you're going. It's gonna be a great time.

And thanks for ordering Acacia. Much appreciated.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Stephe said...

Very interesting. Up until now, I was under the mistaken impression that the majority of Korean sci-fi was "home-grown."

I've always yearned to visit South Korea. Maybe one day...

Good post.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home