Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sage's Poem

This is slightly belated, since Sage's birthday was last month. But I've just found something I wanted to share with you lot. It's the poem my father in law wrote for my son. I'll put this up here, and then eventually move it over to the correct day for the archives.

Laughton did a poem for my daughter, Maya, as well, which you can read here. When he wrote Maya's poem he did so in the days just after her birth. It's a lovely poem, but it was written before he actually knew the person that baby would grow into. Sage's poem was written some years after his birth, when he had very much taken on his own personality and discovered his own interests. That's what's reflected in this poem, and I think it's rather special.

Sage

Sage the lion cub
Sharp as a claw
Strong as sinew
Fast as fury

Sage the Humongous
Angel of Africa
Child of the Caribbean
Son of Caledonia
Brother of Beowulf

Sage the Sagacious
Houdini of Haggle
Fount of Rigamarole
Prince of Penultimate

Sage the Silent
Sage the Ear-splitter
Sage the Deaf
Sage the Charming

Sage the Jedi
Warrior of Aslan
Captain of Gryffindor
King of Karate


Aw man!

J Laughton Johnston
Shutesbury Xmas 2005

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

That's a pretty cool poem.

Makes me want to work on something for my little one.

Your family is pretty cool. Artists all.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

I like how it goes from his feelings and views of Sage to the characteristics of Sage. It's a good blending that shows a lot of raw emotion that finishes with a warm smile. Very very cool.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

I love this poem. And the line Houdini of Haggle made me laugh out loud! So sweet.

3:53 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

It's a good one. For me it's really nice to see so much of Sage in it. It's like a portrait of him, captured in a few lines.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Stephe said...

That's deep. Just imagine their relationship by the time Sage reaches manhood. Wow.

Prince of Penultimate. *chuckle*

8:21 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

That's him, too.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Ronald L. Smith said...

Beautiful. That's all I can say. What a tribute.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home