Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Legacy Award Nominees 2009

The Hurston/Wright Foundation has announced the finalists for this year's Legacy Awards.

The fiction category includes works by Uwem Akpan, Jeffery Renard Allen, Breena Clarke, Tananarive Due, James McBride and Jesmyn Ward. There are also poetry and nonfiction categories.

If you're at interested in what's being published in America by writers of African descent these days go take a look. You might discover a gem you'd otherwise have missed entirely!

The only one of these that I've read was James McBride's Song Yet Sung. I reviewed it for The Washington Post. Good book. I'm sure the others are too.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Child of Albion said...

I've already ordered the Akpan-- it looks wonderful.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Bryan Russell said...

The Akpan one is now on my TBR list...


Bryan

10:49 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Mr Akpan is doing alright, then! I'm glad to hear it. It does sound like a good book. My wife looked over them yesterday and I think we'll be buying the same. Some reading for our drive across the country in a couple of weeks.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Kate Elliott said...

Heh. Before checking these comments I preordered the Akpan, too. Do you get a commission?

4:10 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

That's funny. Is it the description, or the cover image?

No commission, but if this keeps up I'll have to contact his agent...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Bryan Russell said...

Great cover, great title, and the book sounds really interesting. Plus, I'm trying to get a little more serious about studying short fiction. Add in that I've really gotten into fiction about Africa in the last few years and... we have liftoff! And on the topic, have you read Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun? One of the best books I've ever read. If you're looking for something good, well, it has my recommendation.

My best, as always,
Bryan

11:36 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Bryan,

No, I haven't read Chimamanda Ngozi yet. I'd like to, though. That novel was a finalist for this same award a couple years back. I believe Edward P Jones took it that year for All Aunt Hagar's Children. Which, by the way, is short fiction...

-David.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Bryan Russell said...

David,

I read, and loved, Jones' The Known World, so Aunt Hagar and her Children might find themselves on my plate somewhere down the road.

Bryan

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home