Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Paris and Jokertown

I'm in Paris. Yep. The miserable flight is over. I'm on the ground. I'm just catching a breather before heading to Epinal by train in about an hour. So, other than a warm welcome here by my editor, Carola Strang, I don't have too much to report. Well... I have already seen the Eiffel Tower, l'Arc de Triomphe, the Seine, the Louvre and a statue of George Washington. I have pictures to prove it, but they may all be blurry, taken as they were from a moving car. I'll take a look at them later.

I did want to mention some Stateside news. I'd just heard confirmation of this from GRRM a couple days ago, but he's gone public with it now on his Not A Blog - Back to Jokertown. He's announced the title and subject of the new Wild Cards book, and announced the main authors writing for it this time. Go take a look. (And, yes, I'm one of them!)

Okay, gotta catch a train...

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

Ack! It's not fair! Not only do you get to be in Paris but you get to participate in Wild Cards. You're sooo lucky!

12:40 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Meghan,

You've got it all wrong. My modest success is a result of dedication, hard work, upright morals... um... clean living... regular attendance at... ah, the library, things I learned as a Boy Scout, outrage at the tax burden suffered by the richest Americans and opposition to universal health care, and the fact that I still drive a big car. Luck has nothing to do with it!

5:06 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Wait, did I write that last email? It's... um, late at night here in Epinal, which means that I've not slept much at all and it's now 2:07 pm on the day after I left (in terms of me body clock time). So, I'm getting a bit muddled.

Let's just say that all of that last comment was rubbish, except the part about the library is true, though. Oh, and I do work pretty hard. And my car is a bit too big. But I'm resigned to use it frugally for as long as I can and then replace it with something better suited to the future...

And THAT is why I get to be in Paris and also write Wild Cards! Yes, it is! Yes!

5:10 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Now it's 2:11 pm of the day after, without no sleep to speak of. I'm only here to say that I was never a Boy Scout. Never got beyond the Cub Scout pledge if you want to know the truth. Something just didn't sit right with it. I don't want anyone to misunderstand me or quote that claim in future press materials...

Meghan, truth is you're right. I am sooo lucky. Of course, you could be too, with dedication, hard work, upright...

Geez, I really aim tired!

Bonne Nuit. ;)

5:18 PM  
Blogger A. Hartman Adams said...

What is they say? Sleep depravation is the poor man's hallucinogen?

1:22 PM  
Blogger A. Hartman Adams said...

...there was supposed to be an "it" between "is" and "they."

I guess I'm no better off...

1:23 PM  
Blogger Ronald L. Smith said...

I love Paris.

And croissants.


David, I just picked up Acacia and am loving it. Very great indeed. Can't wait to get to the weekend to read further.

Enjoy your trip!

9:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Alison,

True. True. In Epinal today I could have sworn I saw a twelve foot blue skinned horned woman walking the streets accompanied by a strange troll-like guy. Clearly a hallucination. Although... everybody else seemed to see them also...

Balthazar,

Ah, croissants...

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home