Sunday, July 05, 2009

Blog Love - Adventures on the Road to Success

It's easy to be negative. People do it all the time, often without much thought. Bloggers sometimes seem to thrive on it. I guess it's like feeding from the energy of the dark side. Strong, the pull is. Cheap it is. Easy it is. At least, that's how I often feel about... oh, casual negativity about books.

On the other hand, I get a real thrill from hearing that people connect with and make something out of fiction. That's not easy, in my opinion. When it happens it reflects not just the quality of the work, but also has to include the energy and insight that the reader brings to the experience.

Thus, it was with considerable enthusiasm that I came across Kate, a blogger that had nice things to say about Acacia: The War with the Mein. She talks about being part way through the book HERE. And she talks about being almost finished HERE.

I get a final mention HERE. No detailed closing comments, but I guess that means she continued to like it.

Thanks, Kate. You're an ideal reader (and clearly a very smart one).

Best of luck on your road to success.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David(sorry but i call you by your name because in your responds to the fans you sond like one of the sympathetic,likeable contemporary writer from the neighboorhood.lol thats was long .or better and shorter of text,)Hi Mr Durham.

Like Kate i have finished Acacia recently.if it is allowed i want to give you my own thoughts.

but i am not as professional and cute like Kate but i will try it,neverthless.

i want not compare your work with others,but i am a pure fantasy reader.
your writing is very fluently and well.i enjoyed it.

Your worldbuilding is very rich.the story is strong and have power and have potential.the charactersare,hmm,well..there i must tell i have to split it in two categories.first the younger characters.i think they grow to fast from the childhood to youth.and i had no time to love them,i think.but the adult characters are characters are convincingly and well personalized.

i think that is my "so called review"

like i said with the aging,the incidents happened to fast,first i thought,that cant be the first book from a trilogy,it seemed to be more like an standalone.now i am confused how and what you want to serve us in th upcomming books.

and because the similarities with other genre series and your new involvement in Wild Cards,i hope you are not prone to fall in the same illness like the one author(and i hope you not intent to let grow your beard).

i loved your book really,and without permission i have reviewed your book on your blog,sorry.

greetings,
Sweetmartin

4:47 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Sweetmartin,

Thanks for all the kind words. Acacia was written to be a complete novel, one that could standalone. But I couldn't help wanting to continue the story in a variety of ways. I promise that I won't let it get too big though - that they'll be a point of closure every so often.

And I promise I won't grow a beard anytime soon...

5:57 PM  
Blogger Kate Sheeran Swed said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I have to admit I was kind of blown away when I saw your name appear in my inbox. I'm so glad you stopped by and saw my posts - I enjoyed Acacia so much (all the way through! Though I didn't detail the ending because I didn't want to give anything away).

It's so easy to be negative. If I hate something I read, I don't expand much on it. I'm not a reviewer, and I'd rather spend time talking about what I really enjoy. I aspire to write great stories, and the way to do that is to get lost in great stories like yours. So I can't wait to see what the next volume will bring!

12:04 PM  
Blogger ♥ Dawn said...

As a romance writer I normally stick to my genre but thanks to my great, fantasy-writing, critique partner, Kate. I'm learning all of the best fantasy authors. I haven't read Acacia yet but I'm going to. I love Kate's blog too!

5:40 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hi Kate, Dawn,

Thanks for stopping in. And thanks, Kate, for getting me at least one more reader! Very kind of you.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home