Friday, September 11, 2009

Pen/Faulkner Gala

Friends, you may know that I began this writing thing as a writer with some "literary" credentials. I rather liked that. It might not have translated into massive book sales, but it did have its perks: book tours, special events, an occasional gourmet meal and unfettered access to some posh hotel's mini-bar, getting paid for visits to Universities, being reviewed by the NY Times, that sort of stuff. Has my transition to "genre" meant that I've lost all that? Well, not according to the folks at the Pen/Faulkner Foundation. Seems they still think of me as one of the gang.

The proof? I've recently been invited to read at their yearly Gala Ceremony! This is the big, expensive, beginning of their event season fund-raising event. They get a bunch of pretty prestigious writers together and ask us to compose and read short essays on a one word prompt. This year it's... Revelation. It's a black tie event, attended by... well, people fortunate, prosperous and enlightened enough to attend such events. (And who can aren't daunted by the $400 ticket price.) Here's a brief bit of how the Pen/Faulkner folks describe it:

"Geraldine Brooks, David Anthony Durham, Debra Magpie Earling, Nam Le, Alice Mcdermott, Jay McInerney, Francine Prose, Amy Tan, and others lend their imagination to the theme "Revelation" at a benefit evening of readings followed by a black-tie dinner. The proceeds from this festive evening support the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction and Writers in Schools."

Now, I did this event once before, a few years back. I've also read in their reading series and been a judge for the Pen/Faulkner Awards. So they know me, and I know them. But, still, I'm very pleased to continue to be included, and to walk onto the stage at the Folger Shakespeare Library in a tuxedo, proudly a writer of literary and historical and fantasy fiction. (!)

HERE'S the info on the reading series.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous C. R. Bones said...

Gratz man, knock 'em dead

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jonathan DiMarco said...

Nicely done. I think you should attend the event in a chainmail tuxedo.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

You are in good company there. Sounds like a smashing good time. Pics afterward?

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Josiah said...

: D

: D

: D

That's my version of smile and wave online . . . $400 . . . wowsers.

If you were reading from Otherlands i would already have tickets though. ^ ^

8:12 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Chainmail tuxedo... That's awesome. But... I'm not sure they'd let me in. I could, however, wear my Campbell Tiara. That would give them something to talk about. ;)

9:34 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Josiah,

Wait, so you're telling me all those free readings I've done when nobody came were a mistake? What I needed to do was charge and charge big?

Live and learn.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jonathan DiMarco said...

The Campbell Tiara! Yes, by all means wear that. Thus will the gap between worlds be bridged, at least for one gallant evening.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Josiah said...

LOL people don't know they really want something until you make them pay for it.

I would love to come to a reading if you were to come to Southern CO, way out in the middle of no where. Farming country. . .

3:22 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Josiah,

Where are you, exactly? I won't be back in Colorado anytime soon, but I did spend a year in Colorado Springs recently. Traveled around the state a lot, including a few stops in the middle of nowhere.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

That's great news and a great compliment (you deserve it). Congrats!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Ashe Hunt said...

Sounds like a nice time. Will you be posting the essay you write, after the gala? I'd love to read your views on the word Revelation. I'd actually like to be there and hear you read it but that's not going to happen.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home