Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Strange Horizons...

...has just posted an amazing review of The Other Lands (Acacia, Book 2)!

Niall Harrison is the reviewer, and I couldn't be more pleased with the treatment he's given the book. Yes, I like it because it's positive. But it's more than that. Niall thoroughly engages with the book on many levels, giving it not so much a thumbs up or down treatment, but something more akin to probing criticism at its best.

Yes, folks, it's true; I'm a fan of Niall's. You will be too, if you read the review HERE!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if I hadn't already bought and liked Acacia a good review in SH woould've just destroyed any chance of me reading your books.

I don't like reviews who criticize the reviewers' idea of what the book should've been instead of the actual text, and that's pretty much the only thing you can expect from a fantasy book's review published there.

Sometime their reviewers can't even be bothered in using the correct names of the characters, and more than once I actually found events and situations described in the reviews that weren't in the books!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Niall said...

Anon, you can post comments at the end of any review on SH. If you spot glaring errors, I'd be very grateful if you pointed them out so that they can be corrected.

4:25 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I certainly don't recall any errors in this review. If anything there's a wide range of extra things covered and/or alluded to. Much more accurate than the norm.

In general, my experience with reviews is that they're often wrong in lots of ways. My experience with Strange Horizons, however, has been two thorough, rather impressive treatments - the kind I wish were more the mainstream.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home