Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Red Wolf Conspiracy

I mentioned a little while back that I was reading Robert V. S. Redick's The Red Wolf Conspiracy. Well, I might as well mention that I enjoyed it quite a bit, enough to recommend it!

But don't just trust me, here's what Publishers Weekly thought:

Insane god-kings, miniature warriors and sentient animals fight over a powerful ancient artifact in Redick's dramatic, complex debut. The Mzithrin and Arquali Empires have been locked in a 40-year cold war over the resources and riches of the Crownless Lands on their common frontier. Now the Chathrand, a floating city built as much by sorcerer as shipwright, bears young Thasha, an unwilling bride to an enemy prince. No one seems sure whether this is a sincere attempt to bind the two empires together in peace or merely a gambit in their political games. The tense atmosphere soon erupts as various factions struggle to find and control the myth-wrapped Red Wolf. Both adult and young adult readers will find much to enjoy in this tale of sea-faring and bloody diplomacy.

Yep. There's all that in the book, and quite a bit more, really. I may get a chance to discuss some of that "more" soon. I'm talking with Robert about doing an joint interview. If we do it, I'll post it here!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I got The Red Wolf Conspiracy in my annual stack of books for Christmas (I like to stock up for the year ahead on my Xmas list!) but haven't yet gotten around to reading it. I guess I'll bump it up a few notches in the read pile now that it comes with your recommendation, too. Thanks for the info!

8:49 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Great. Just out of curiosity, what else is in that "read pile"?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Bryan Russell said...

Nice. It's been on my read list for awhile, and it's nice to have a little confirmation that the choice is a worthwhile one.

Best,
Bryan

11:18 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Glad to help confirm!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

David,

The Christmas read pile is: In the Woods by Tana French, The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, Hotel Pastis and A Good Year by Peter Mayle, Gardens of the Moon by Stephen Erikson, Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton, the aforementioned Redwolf Conspiracy, and The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff.

So, an eclectic list. I've read about half of the pile so far, and haved loved In the Woods best of them all so far. The Peter Mayle stuff is nice weekend reading, too. And I'm thinking there's a reason why Michael Crichton never told anyone about Pirate Latitudes before he died. Some things are left better unpublished.

Cheers,
Josh

6:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oops, left off one: The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott. It was OK but never quite rose to the heights I expected based on some of the reviews I'd read.

6:39 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Josh, I love the diversity of that list!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home