Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Never Let Me Go

I had a strange experience watching this film. It was well-done and acted, and calmly intriguing, but about halfway through I began to go, "Yeah, but, what about..." and "I'm not sure that makes considering..." and "Oh, come on, why don't they..." There were aspects of the world and how the characters inhabited it that didn't quite makes sense. If you're interested in the details check out the link to reviews I have below.

By the end, none of my queries were answered with answers. Instead, they were undermined with questions. Gudrun and I talked about it quite a bit. She'd read and enjoyed the book, but couldn't answer my questions either. I walk away wondering if the world Kazuo Ishiguro (author of the book on which it's based: Never Let Me Go) created made the questions I wanted answered beside the point. It's like by the end your supposed to walk away with the questions, not with the answers at all.

This is all leading up to me saying I think I liked it quite a bit. It's something of a puzzle that I didn't solve, but that I find intriguing. HERE's a link to the Rotten Tomatoes site for it - with lots of connections to various reviews.

Carey Mulligan is a terrific actress, by the way. I think she has the potential to have a wonderfully diverse career.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

I know exactly what questions those would be and oddly did not experience them while reading the novel. Because it was all first person, I had the feeling that Kathy just wasn't aware of the larger world. So any questions I might have had vanished with the assumption that a less sheltered narrator would have known the answers.

I can see where that wouldn't be the case in a film because it automatically shows you the wider world.

3:40 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hi Mary,

That makes sense.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home