Monday, January 23, 2012

The Sacred Band Cookbook

I have to share this. It's an email I got a little while back from one of my marvelous beta readers. There were three that did wonders for The Sacred Band, together making it a much better book than it would have been without their insights. Thing is, the book seems to have infiltrated the subconscious of at least one of them.

See for yourself:

Dear David and girls, 

I thought you all might appreciate this. Last night I dreamt that I got my copy of The Sacred Band only to discover that, in the rewrite, David had turned it into a cookbook. Not just any cookbook, mind. An "Acacia Characters Favorite Recipes" cookbook. It still looked like the novel, but, when opened, had glossy pages of food photography interspersed with random passages from The Other Lands (yes--the previous novel) and recipes for things like "Mena's Spicy Hash" (???!!!??) and "Sire Neen's Fish Balls." (Sire Neen, incidentally, appears to favor tagine dishes--but only, I suspect, because I finally got a tagine for Christmas.) 

Having perused this unique document I woke in a cold sweat filled with questions: Why had David gotten rid of the League plot line in favor of giant pictures of soup? Where in God's name was my beloved Corrin? I cannot express how thankful I was when reality finally reasserted itself and I realized that a) it was only a dream, and b) my actual copy of The Sacred Band--sadly lacking that Spicy Hash recipe but replete with the characters I know and love--would be arriving via amazon at the end of the week...

It gets me chuckling, I have to admit. I like the idea. If you have any favorite Acacia-related recipes do feel free to let me know...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Russell said...

Now I have to decide whether I'm hungrier for food or words...

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Ethan Iktho said...

Some say that, when you are really hungry, hunger decides for you.

Never met my "Some". Did you ever meet your "Whether"?

Which leaves us all with "Hunger".

(No, just joking.)

9:20 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

How about being hungry for words about foods? I remember having a hard time reading Hemingway's A Movable Feast because I was always having stomach grumbles at his descriptions of food.

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Ethan Iktho said...

Ah, no, sorry. Misunderstanding there; I was not talking about FOOD, but about HUNGER.

All my apologies.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home